If you are a dog owner then you probably feel as though your dog is part of the family. So, it’s good to be prepared to handle critical situations for your dog just as you would be prepared for your child, sibling, or any other member of your family.
Whether you have an obedient older dog or a rambunctious puppy, all canines big and small have one thing in common: they’re not perfect. At some point even the most well-trained pooch will eat something they shouldn’t, jump on someone well‑dressed or—heaven help us—get sprayed by a skunk. Modern Dog solicited the advice of dog professionals across North America for what to do when you find yourself up against the most common dog problems. Here’s how to proceed in the face of calamity.
Big thanks to Modern Dog Magazine for helping all us dog lovers be prepared to take care of our family!
HELP! What To Do In Common Canine EmergenciesDon’t panic! Tips to get you and your dog through
What to do if your dog eats cooked chicken bones
Scavengers at heart, it only takes a split second for a dog to snatch and devour chicken bones left on a dinner plate or in an uncovered garbage bin. The concern is that cooked bones can splinter when chewed, which can lead to the sharp splinters getting stuck in the esophagus or intestines, possibly perforating stomach walls and leading to a number of complications including (costly) surgery.But not every ingested bone requires a rush to the vet, says Dr. Fraser Davidson. If the bones were relatively small and swallowed whole it’s possible that they’ll break down in the stomach and pass normally. But you need to keep a close eye on your dog for the next 48 hours. Davidson advises feeding the culprit a high-fiber diet including whole wheat bread and canned pumpkin to cushion the stomach and bulk up the dog’s poop. Handle your pooch gently so no extra pressure is put on the abdomen and watch out for vomiting, bloody stool, lethargy, and discomfort. See your vet if any of those signs arise, or if the bones haven’t passed. Surgery may be an option if the bones consumed were large or sharp. Don’t attempt to make your dog vomit up the bones because the risk is high for them to become lodged in the esophagus, Davidson added.It’s worth noting that the ingestion of all cooked animal bones are concerning, but ones from chicken are particularly bad because they splinter easily, making them sharper and pointier. Larger bones, like beef ribs, carry slightly less risk of splintering, but they’re more likely to fracture teeth if bitten into. Davidson says lamb chop bones also often get stuck if swallowed because of their shape.What to do if your dog eats chocolate
Similar to the chocoholic of the human variety, one bite of chocolate is almost always never enough for a dog. Unfortunately, even a small portion can poison a dog because of what’s inside it: theobromine. The chemical, similar to caffeine, can’t be metabolized by dogs so it puts them at risk of poisoning.If your pup has eaten chocolate, don’t waste time going to “Dr. Google” for help, says Dr. Ahna Brutlag, veterinary toxicologist and associate director of veterinary services at Pet Poison Helpline. Brutlag says a veterinary professional or service like Pet Poison Hotline, a 24/7 poison control hotline for pets, can help you quickly determine if your dog ingested a toxic dose based on the animal’s breed, age, weight, type of chocolate, and any medical issues your dog may have.
The type and colour of chocolate eaten is very important: the darker and bitterer, the more dangerous it is, says Brutlag. Baking chocolate and gourmet dark chocolate contain significantly more theobromine than milk chocolate. White chocolate hardly has any. That means a healthy 50-pound dog could be poisoned by one ounce of baker’s chocolate, but it would have to gobble nine ounces of milk chocolate to experience the same serious problems.
If your dog recently ate chocolate and isn’t having any negative physical reactions, a pet professional may advise you to induce vomiting using hydrogen peroxide—seek professional advice for when and how to do this. A dog should be taken to the vet immediately if he displays signs of poisoning: vomiting, diarrhea, increased thirst, racing heart rate, and excessive urination. Young puppies and dogs with heart disease are most at risk.
In order to see advice on: What to do if your dog is stung by a bee/ What to do if your dog gets into a fight/ What to do if your dog is choking and many more, visit HELP! What To Do In Common Canine Emergencies